So you have a Canon (CR2) but want to help a friend edit or Post Process their images but can’t open or view them because they are Nikon (NEF)?
When you install your DSLR software, the codec for your brand of camera is embedded into and used by the O/S so you can view thumbnails, open and edit with your manufacturers included software, however it can’t read a RAW file from another manufacturer if that codec is not installed.
You might have bought the camera 2nd hand and the packaging/software is amiss and downloading the original software is either daunting or it simply isn’t available.
Here’s a solution:
You can download the RAW Codec Pack from a number of online resources. Solutions are to get the codecs from your camera maker, O/S House or from a 3rd party, if you have failed at finding/downloading the software from the manufacturer. Please visit each site regularly as they are updated as new camera models are released. You could also join your local camera club, as there will be a diverse collection of cameras and someone might well be willing to copy his/her install CD for you. Once installed, most s/w self-updates to the latest version.
I’ve done some of the leg work for you; download them here > Codec links:
- Canon – Software Codec
- Nikon – Software Codec
- Sony – Raw Driver (up to α700) or get the latest Image Data Converter (up to α900)
- Olympus – Software Codec
- Pentax – (Vista and Windows 7, 32 bit only)
- Leica – (no codecs found, please link or use Windows Codec)
- Minolta – DiMage and Dynax Support Pages
- Epson – (none found, please link or use Windows Codec)
- Panasonic – Software Codec
- Sigma – download Sigma Photo Pro
- Fuji – downoad FinePixViewer then run CCD-RAW data updater
- Microsoft™ Camera Codec Pack: (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Leica, Minolta, Epson, Panasonic)
- Codecs.com: Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus
If you can think of other brands that I’ve missed, please leave a comment and link!
Here is a list of RAW file extensions and as I get a chance I’ll match them to manufacturers:
.crw, .cr2, .cap,
.dcs, .dcr, .dng, .drf,
.mef, .mos, .mrw,
.pef, .ptx, .pxn,
.r3d, .raf, .raw, .rwl, .rw2, .rwz,
.sr2, .srf, .srw,
Gear I use: Bodies: Nikon D-SLR’s / Lenses: Nikon, Sigma, Tokina, Vivitar
Filters: Hoya UV & Polarizing / Flash: Nikon Speed-lights / Bag: Lowe Pro
Tripods & Heads: Manfrotto / Grips, Triggers, Timers, Batteries: Phottix
Editing Plug-in: Topaz Labs Noise Reduction, HDR, B&W Conversion & more!